Drawing the Portrait
Looking back to the Renaissance draftsmen, Gustavo Ramos completes a drawing with a focus on delicacy of form, bold shape design, and nuanced mark-making. Watch over the artist's shoulder as he makes use of a diverse array of materials ranging from graphite to pastel to create a sophisticated portrait drawing from the ground up.
Follow along as Ramos walks you through his meticulous approach that landed the front-cover in 2020’s The Best of Drawing magazine. This in-depth demonstration will help the beginner or advanced student internalize principles of light, structure, tonal abstraction, shape design, and value refinement as it relates to portraiture.
What you’ll learn:
- How to achieve a high level of finish in a time efficient way.
- What to look for when establishing proportions.
- Selecting the right paper and making the most out of its qualities.
- How to naturally and intuitively render skin texture with pencil.
- Blending vs. cross-hatching, how to best use both.
- The importance of dissecting and simplifying visual information.
- A method of establishing tones that saves hours of work.
- How to achieve rich darks and preserve the lights.
Language - English
Duration - 3h 5m
Aspect Ratio - 9:16
Media type - Streaming, not physical